Powered by Thunder Fans!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Tulsa Rivalry..., Does it really exist anymore?
Thunderfan91
post Nov 18 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #1

All Star Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 2,967
Mood: Thunder ROCK!

With the article in the Eagle today about our "rivalry" with Tulsa, I spotted something that I thought could make for some interesting discussion. Namely, that the players check hard against Tulsa, and the feeling in the last game against them was "tense."

Now, I'm no fan of Tulsa, and I like seeing our boys smash them into the boards, and I think it is always a treat to watch Keserich play, especially since he used to be with us. But I just don't believe we really have a rivalry with Tulsa. When I think "rivalry" and "Thunder" the first and only yardstick to measure by is us the Blazers. Where the fans turned out in huge numbers, even during our down years. When we had out amazing shirts, making fun of everything from Standish to those stupid Ronald McDonald jerseys of theirs. Rivalries against a team are where the games become legend. Missouri is the only team where I feel we have this dynamic going on.

Tulsa is a fun team to see the Thunder beat, but it's not a rivalry to me.

Your 2 cents?

Here's the article:http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/17/2105887/thunder-rivalry-percolates.html

And as always: Well done Kollen on another excellent Thunder article!

When you pull on that jersey, you represent yourself, and your teammates. And the name on the front on the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back!
-Herb Brooks

Cross Country. Finally a practical use for golf courses.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deadbolt
post Nov 18 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Bandwidth Hawg

Group: Members
Member No.: 343

About 10 years ago Tulsa used to be a bigger rivalry than even the blazers. Back when they had Dallas Anderson, Justin Ossachuck, Jordan Flodel, Carlos Soke ect.... and had Gary Unger behind the bench. Since then the culture of tulsa oiler hockey has been boring, no frills, no rough stuff, pure defensive hockey. In my opinion the rivalry with Tulsa died around 03-04 when coach unger left tulsa and took his goon squad with him to the UHL.

+Quote Post
THUNDER4LIFE
post Nov 18 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #3

ThunderHolic

Member No.: 3,950
Police Officer in the lovely state of KS

Tulsa is not a rivalry anymore. Their soft, and, especially this year, can't compete with our physicality whatsoever. Missouri will be a longtime rival for us, especially with guys wanting to play for them every year, they gain interest of some tough guys. I'm happy to say The Mavs are our new rival. I do miss OKC though! About the only memory we have of them now is Sawyer LOL

T.4.L

GO THUNDER!!!

+Quote Post
ccm6700
post Nov 18 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #4

All Star Member

Member No.: 109
Ok im drunk... is there a problem with that occifer?

QUOTE (THUNDER4LIFE @ Nov 18 2011, 11:07 AM) *
Tulsa is not a rivalry anymore. Their soft, and, especially this year, can't compete with our physicality whatsoever. Missouri will be a longtime rival for us, especially with guys wanting to play for them every year, they gain interest of some tough guys. I'm happy to say The Mavs are our new rival. I do miss OKC though! About the only memory we have of them now is Sawyer LOL

And we have Lizon also... Tulsa has all of OKC's washed up vets (Fleck, Standish, Beuselea sp) but they dont have the tough guys that Coach Sauter had in OKC to clear up space and protect them so they could play their "style" of game.

Hope you got Hobo stab insurance
"You gotta live for something,, or you'll die for nothing"
-HATEBREED-

+Quote Post
ccm6700
post Nov 18 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #5

All Star Member

Member No.: 109
Ok im drunk... is there a problem with that occifer?

QUOTE (deadbolt @ Nov 18 2011, 11:01 AM) *
About 10 years ago Tulsa used to be a bigger rivalry than even the blazers. Back when they had Dallas Anderson, Justin Ossachuck, Jordan Flodel, Carlos Soke ect.... and had Gary Unger behind the bench. Since then the culture of tulsa oiler hockey has been boring, no frills, no rough stuff, pure defensive hockey. In my opinion the rivalry with Tulsa died around 03-04 when coach unger left tulsa and took his goon squad with him to the UHL.

Go back even farther han that and Tuls was probably a bigger rivalry than the Blazers, I would like to add just one more name toyour list.... Mr. Goldielocks himself, Doug Lawrence... enough said LOL

Hope you got Hobo stab insurance
"You gotta live for something,, or you'll die for nothing"
-HATEBREED-

+Quote Post
CENTERICESTEVE
post Nov 18 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 722
AKA "THE VOICE " LETS GO THUNDER ! HE SHOOTS , HE SCORES !

Back in early 90's Tulsa was even a bigger rival then Blazers .Who could forget opener in 92 when Tulsa players tried to climb the glass to get at our fans .And one worst pests ever in Dougie Lawrence when we'd play get a haircut & get a real job everytime he hit the ice and when our fans wore curly blonde wigs to games to heckle him . One Night fans by penalty box threw beers on him & he encouraged them to throw more on him because he was hot & thirsty . I remember another night in section 121 where Thunder fans & Oilers fan got into cat fight & Thunder lady pulled Tulsa ladies jersey off over her head and Thunder & Tulsa players stopped to watch the action in stands . They use to sell those rolls of Tulsa toilet paper at Thunder souvenier stand to . No myself I still consider them Tulsa as a hated Rival & after this week when these teams face each other couple nights in a row I'm sure it'll reignite them old flames of hatred . Personally I've also hated the Mav's & they're fans from get go three years ago for they're cocky arrogance especially being a new franchise and all .Looking forward to Wednesday night and some justified payback . But I think we should consider any visiting team that dare step on our ice as hated rivals that should be checked pumeled and beat down & scored on without mercy , you know THUNDERSTRUCK !!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif LETS GO THUNDER ! nhl_checking.gif nhl_checking.gif nhl_checking.gif

+Quote Post
Thunderfan23
post Nov 18 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Thunderholic

Member No.: 233
Mood: I WANT TO WIN!!!
Thunder fan since '92... and lovin' it!!!

QUOTE (CENTERICESTEVE @ Nov 18 2011, 07:36 PM) *
Back in early 90's Tulsa was even a bigger rival then Blazers .Who could forget opener in 92 when Tulsa players tried to climb the glass to get at our fans .And one worst pests ever in Dougie Lawrence when we'd play get a haircut & get a real job everytime he hit the ice and when our fans wore curly blonde wigs to games to heckle him . One Night fans by penalty box threw beers on him & he encouraged them to throw more on him because he was hot & thirsty . I remember another night in section 121 where Thunder fans & Oilers fan got into cat fight & Thunder lady pulled Tulsa ladies jersey off over her head and Thunder & Tulsa players stopped to watch the action in stands . They use to sell those rolls of Tulsa toilet paper at Thunder souvenier stand to . No myself I still consider them Tulsa as a hated Rival & after this week when these teams face each other couple nights in a row I'm sure it'll reignite them old flames of hatred . Personally I've also hated the Mav's & they're fans from get go three years ago for they're cocky arrogance especially being a new franchise and all .Looking forward to Wednesday night and some justified payback . But I think we should consider any visiting team that dare step on our ice as hated rivals that should be checked pumeled and beat down & scored on without mercy , you know THUNDERSTRUCK !!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif LETS GO THUNDER ! nhl_checking.gif nhl_checking.gif nhl_checking.gif

And boom goes the dynamite! Nicely said.

"I'm going to have to ask you to retard your anger."
- Jack Nicholson

+Quote Post
bigtalker
post Nov 18 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #8

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 3,647
Mood: shakin things up

I think tulsa was a great rival for several years, but honestly i don't think they are much of one right now. I'm not saying that they can't be a rival again maybe it starts right now! I'm sure the guys will get tired of seeing the same faces after the next couple weeks and things could get alil rowdy. But at this moment i would say the mavericks are by far our greatest rival and things are going to get very nasty by years end between us and them... hopefully!

+Quote Post
deadbolt
post Nov 18 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 343

It shows richrads as being off IR now but does not have him listed in the lineup tonight. Did we really sit out sawyer and just skate 1 man short? I sure hope not

+Quote Post
bigtalker
post Nov 18 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 3,647
Mood: shakin things up

I'm not sure why it isn't showing richards in the lineup but he IS playing tonight.

+Quote Post
curley
post Nov 18 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #11

THE FAVORITE STOOGE

Member No.: 101
season ticket holder for 16 years

QUOTE (THUNDER4LIFE @ Nov 18 2011, 11:07 AM) *

that team that cant compete with our physicality just beat us 2 in a row, rival or not Tulsa is not as soft as you think.
Alot of people on this form has Wichita hanging the championship banner already, better play every team as a rival not just Missouri. I like Russo"s spark and is excellent in shootouts but has given up alot of soft goals save % .880 is 20th in the league.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 03:29 AM
talkwichita.com-Google pagerank and Worth  Rating for talkwichita.com