> championship teams...
bigtalker
post Apr 7 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #1

Bandwidth Hawg

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,647
Mood: shakin things up

I wasn't around Wichita back in the 90's when we won our two titles.. I know there is still another chapter to be written about this years team but. I was just curious how you guys think this team compares to those two teams?? Is this years version as good not as good what do you think? What are some similarities and some differences between the teams?

I know hockey has changed alot since then but i really don't know much about those two teams.. does seem like they were a little more high powered scoring wise atleast from looking at stats from back then.

What do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kberg41
post Apr 7 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Seasoned Ticket Holder

Member No.: 169

It's difficult to compare, because the overall quality of talent in the league is so much better now. Back then, most teams had one decent line, and one decent goalie. The Thunder were much deeper, than the other teams we faced. That isnt the case now. I dont see any teams that I feel that a series win is a foregone conclusion.

One major difference I see, when comparing the two teams from VERY different CHL eras, is that the old championship teams were "grind it out/cycle" type of offensive teams...that is why Jim Latos was so successful putting up points in the playoffs, and creating room for his linemates. He was maybe the best ever (in the CHL) with his work in the corners.

This team, however relies alot on rushes/transition play to generate much of their offense. That is a bit worrisome to me, because traditionally, the whistles get put away, in the playoffs, and we havent had much success against clutching, grabbing, interfering, that normally goes on in the playoffs. So far, what the Thunder do seems to be working, but we need to generate some goals from the Robinson/Summers line....maybe Davis getting back in the lineup will help (but have no idea if he is close to being ready).

A side note, Bourett would fit in well with the old championship teams. I love good physical hockey, and appreciate the efforts that the league has made to "clean up" the game...but sometimes a good ole "gong show" would be nice, lol.

All I know is, I LOVE PLAYOFF HOCKEY, and it's good to be back in the picture.

"First, we have to learn how not to beat ourselves. When we learn how to stop losing, then we have to learn how to win. I can't predict anything. My only prediction is that it will happen. But I have no idea how long it will take. I just know it will get done."--Bill Snyder, 1988.

Ball Hard! Mob Deep!!

+Quote Post
netminder18
post Apr 8 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #3

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 3,653
Mood: Thunder hockey is back!
Went to my my first game when I was two days old.

Bourret=Sapergia
Green and dustin=Weingardner

You've just been thunderstruck!

Over 18, but glad I'm still hot enough looking to keep my young looks in your opinion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 08:14 AM
talkwichita.com-Google pagerank and Worth  Rating for talkwichita.com