Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just wondering ?
CENTERICESTEVE
post May 28 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Bandwidth Hawg

Group: Members
Member No.: 722
AKA "THE VOICE " LETS GO THUNDER ! HE SHOOTS , HE SCORES !

You know with the final round of Stanley Cup just about to begin & most other leagues from CHL to Memorial Cup playoffs over . I was thinking about our Thunder & the comming season . Reading the CHL News about some of these star players resigning in Texas , Mississippi . I got to wondering , why its seems so hard for the Thunder to recruit some talented players . Why would some of these guys want to play in these CHL cities with hardley any attendance . One would think the large , noisey enthusiastic fans of the Thunder would be a good aid in recruiting some talent . Would'nt one want to play here instead of places like MISSISSIPPI that hardley even average more then 2,000 people a game ? What do the rest of you think on this subject ?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 For Being an I...
post May 28 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #2

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 704

I'm sure fringe benefits weigh in a little, such as; apartments, transportation, etc... But reading Boron's interview it sounds like we have pretty good accommodations here. Then I think it would come down to the possibility of winning, coaching staff, and teammates. I'm sure we will have a lot better recruiting year this year.

I Hate KSN, Channel #3

+Quote Post
Thunderfan23
post May 29 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #3

Thunderholic

Member No.: 233
Mood: I WANT TO WIN!!!
Thunder fan since '92... and lovin' it!!!

It also helps to have a new arena. Can't wait for it to open!

"I'm going to have to ask you to retard your anger."
- Jack Nicholson

+Quote Post
Xantasia
post May 29 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #4

All Star Member

Member No.: 2,753
Mood: Emotions =Energy N Motion
?Runnin w/the Big Dawgs on a Dark Desert Hwy

hmm.gif Very good question. I have wondered that as well for sometime. The fans are great, Wichita is not a bad place to live, the houseing from what I have seen is good, (not like Colorado's ) but good. I dont really think the arena factors in too much. The BB is old but it puts up alot of fans and isnt a bad place to play in my opinion. Its way better than Texas's arena and they dont have a problem getting good players. So what does that really say? My guess would be that Wichita must have a bad reputation among players for admin problems or something to that effect. Course we know there has been changes made recently but once there are problems it dont take long for word to get out but it takes a very long time to convince people things are better when things change. Then the fact that the Thunder have been on the bottom for some time doesnt help.
I certainly hope that coach and the other staff can turn things around this season. Whatever the problem is they better find a way to fix it.

+Quote Post
Hrududu
post May 29 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #5

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 232
Mood: Intrust Bank Arena sucks the life out of Thunder games.
You'll usually find me in mid 127 armed with a cowbell.

I would think our attendance records and the fact that we're an original team would be good marketing points to recruiting players. I really believe this slump we're in can't last forever, and we will get some quality guys in here soon. OKC was able to come off a terrible season and put together a competitive team in just one offseason, I think we can do that too. I have a feeling our lack of talent isn't really based on players turning down offers, but perhaps that players just aren't getting them from the front office.

Thunder fan since 92. Penguin fan since.... forever.

"And ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!!"

+Quote Post
2 For Being an I...
post May 29 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Bandwidth Hawg

Member No.: 704

I don't think it is easy to just go out and get the best players it's a matter of finding the right combination. 05-06 we had a good team very close but lost in the first round. 06-07 we pretty much stuck with the same formula and we did even worse. 07-08 We went after one type of player (tough and gritty) to hopefully make up for our short comings in 06-07. Duda was hurt most of the year, our number #1 playmaker and Clayton slumped.

So last year we started completly over for the most part and go after youth, not even a good rebuilding year. We are going to need some proven playmakers with a good supporting cast. Duda and at least 3 proven offensive playmaker or snipers. Batty and a couple more grinders and at least two legitment heavey weights that can skate a regular shift, I think Bernier could be one of them.

So it's as easy as that now we just need to go sign them up LOL. Seriously though I think we have the ablity to recruit a good team its just a matter of time.

I Hate KSN, Channel #3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:51 PM
talkwichita.com-Google pagerank and Worth  Rating for talkwichita.com